Saturday, March 20, 2010

Civic Duty

I'm on Jury Duty! Most attorneys don't want me on their jury because of almost 30 years working with law enforcement. But there were so many other potential jurors who were correctional officers or FBI agents or… You get the idea.

Anyway, the judge is a lovely young woman with a great sense of humor. She noticed on my voir dire that I'm an author and asked my what I write. Now, you have to understand that I'm probably the 2nd or 3rd oldest person in the entire courtroom. So when I said, "I write erotic romance," everybody laughed. Then one of the attorneys asked if people I meet end up in my stories. I told him no, but some eccentricities might. Everybody laughed again!

So that's what I'll be doing for the next couple of weeks. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude--civic duty and all that stuff--but I think the most interesting thing I'll get out of it is following the process from jury selection to verdict. And--wow!--it takes more than one hour.

Dee Brice

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hope it's not too bad.