Thursday, April 9, 2009

How Dreams Are Like Books

I don’t usually leave things until the last minute, but I had no idea what I was going to write about today until I woke up this morning. But first, more about me…

My first book, Cicada, a paranormal novel with light bondage, debuted on 19 November 2008. I have a futuristic ménage in the works. I like to write about otherworldly fantastical things that help people escape from everyday reality, so expect paranormal, fantasy, and sci/fi from me.

Check out my web site http://www.aftonlocke.com for Cicada excerpt, reviews, and video trailer.

Cicada Blurb:
Marian, a science teacher on summer vacation, moves into Jon’s house. He’s been dead for a hundred years but he vows to break the curse on himself and win her heart. He seduces her, entices her and is determined to show her who’s boss with some sexy rope tricks—but he intends to earn her love at the same time.

Anyway, when I woke up from a very strange dream this morning I realized dreams are a lot like books. There was a protagonist. Me. (But there was no hero, love, or sex, so it must be a women’s fiction book and not a romance.) I was trying to drive as many miles as I could to make headway on a very long trip (goal). But it was getting late and dark. I also had to stop and get dinner but couldn’t find anything to eat (obstacle).

My first stop was a convenience store where the proprietess tried to tempt me with a sandwich made from their “special” bread. To me it just looked moldy, so I passed (refusal to take the easy way out). As I drove around the labyrinth of a parking lot, I ended up on a dirt road while it got darker and I got hopelessly lost (raising the stakes). Like a stubborn heroine, I forged ahead in pursuit of my goal.

Then I ended up in a town and, using intuition, turned left (scene and sequel - I realized being lost really sucked so I decided to buy a good GPS very soon). I parked at some big building and went inside, which was full of people. There was some sit-down buffet in there that wouldn’t be served for hours and looked pretty paltry anyway -- lots of lettuce and gelatin stuff. I finally left but since I made no note of where I parked, I also lost my vehicle (raising the stakes even more).

Like all good writers, I was really torturing my heroine, making her consider if she still wanted to pursue this stupid goal. (But at least I had the decency to give her comfortable shoes.)Unfortunately, I woke up before it was resolved. But like all good books, it left me with questions. Where the heck was I going that was so all-fired important? Why was I alone? Why did I leave so late? Why didn’t I think ahead and research where I was going or at least pack a sandwich using fresh non-moldy bread?

Maybe I have dreams like books because I’m a writer. (Or maybe I just eat too much chocolate before I go to bed.) But I did have a dream once that inspired a whole novel. The muse works in mysterious ways. Until next month…

Afton Locke
Unlock your darkest fantasies and brightest dreams…
www.aftonlocke.com
http://sixsexysirens.blogspot.com (check out my Thursday Ask Afton column for relationship advice)
*where I am blogging today about long-distance relationships*
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thelovechronicle/ (newsletter)
Cicada - available from Ellora’s Cave - paranormal/BDSM erotic romance





4 comments:

Desiree Holt said...

I'm wioth you on the dreams, Afton. I must be a chocoholic, too, because I can't seem to go to sleep without it and then my subconscious goes to work. But whatever is doing it for you, keep it up because you write great books.

Jean Hart Stewart said...

I join you on the subconcious, Afton. I usually do my tricky plotting at about two in the morning, when I'm half conscious. I think all writers are a little weird....Jean

Afton Locke said...

Thanks, Desiree. Half conscious? Jean, I'll have to try that one. Enjoyed your previous post also.

Marianne Stephens said...

There's a book there from that dream, Afton. Weave a story around it and create a thriller!
Nice blog!