Saturday, June 9, 2007

Our own little worlds

Hi, everyone

Is it any wonder we read and/or write romance novels? With all the terrible things that are happening in the world today, even if our lives are going well, it is always nice to escape to another world -- a world where you know everything is going to turn out all right in the end. No matter what happens to our hero and heroine along the way, we can be assured there will be a "Happily Ever After."

I once told a co-worker of mine that I wrote romance novels. She said, "Oh, I don't read those." When I asked her why, she said, "They are so unrealistic, the ending is always so happy and everyone is happy, yadda, yadda, yadda." And I thought to myself, yeah, that's just the point!

Ten years ago today, my husband of 24 years told me he was "madly in love" with another woman. Yeah, he couldn't even come up with a more original way to say it! That sure put the kibosh on my HEA! I was writing before that (and he was NOT the model for the heroes in my books), but since then, the worlds I create are the only way I have to reassure myself that there is such a thing as a HEA.

We have so little control over what happens in our lives -- wars, illness, death, emotional blows. As writers, WE are in control. My novels are not sweetness and light, however -- I make my heroes and heroines suffer, but in the end, everything works out all right and they achieve that HEA that we all want -- for them and for ourselves. If we don't have our own HEA, we can have theirs, and that is so satisfying if only until we start to read or write our next romance!

By the next time it is my turn to post, I should finally have my own website --YEAH!! I will give you the address then. In the meantime, you can find me here and at the Ellora's Cave website, and at the websites of some of my fellow authors who have been kind enough to link me.

So, until then, here's wishing everyone their own Happily Ever After. Stay healthy, stay safe, stay happy! And keep reading romance.

Kate Poole

No comments: