Saturday, April 19, 2008

They Call the Wind Mariah

I live in a tiny town. The official population is 127 according to the board on the freeway.
Sometimes things can get really strange.

The other day a wind was blowing through town. Its not unusual for Desert Center to have wind, especially during the spring. It brings dust into your house through every crack. It turns 18-wheeler trucks over on their sides. It moves sand dunes from one side of the freeway to the other side. Nothing out of the ordinary.

But this particular day, everyone was acting kooky. Not mean or cantankerous. Not jittery or paranoid. Not tired or anything but kooky. That is the only way I could describe it.

Like everyone, who is retirement age or close to it, suddenly turned into preteens at their first dance.

I blamed it on the wind. Which brought up remembering the song in the movie Paint Your Wagon. (lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner; music by Frederick Loewe)
They Called the Wind Mariah. No one could remember the words to the song.
I found them on the internet. (What can't you find on the internet?)

I found the words of the song on a fun site Sploofus.com It is a trivia quiz site.

I also found out the names of the wind around the world. So here is a list of the names of wind and what part of the world uses that term.

Chinook --eastern side of the Rockies, United States
Santa Ana --southwestern United States
Foehn--European Alps
Simoom--Middle East
Brick Fielder--Australia
Zonda--Pampas of Argentina
Ghibli--eastern Mediterranean
Leste--Madeiras, Portugal
Naalehu--Hawaii
Soo-Oop-Wa -- southwestern Africa
And in case you can't remember the words of the song either, here it is
Mariah.....Mariah.... They call the wind Mariah Way out here They got a name for rain and wind and fire the rain is rest the fire is joy and they call the wind Mariah
Mariah throws the stars around and send the clouds a-flying Mariah makes the mountains sound like folks were up their dying
Mariah.....Mariah... They call the wind Mariah
Before I know Mariah's name and heard her wail and whinning I had a girl and she had me the sun was always shinning But then one day I left my girl I left her behind me and now I'm lost Oh God I'm lost not even God can find me
Mariah...Mariah... They call the wind Mariah
Out here they got a name for rain for wind and fire only But when your lost and all alone there is no name for gloomy And I'm a lost and lonely man without a star to guide me Mariah blow my love to me I need my girl besides me
Mariah...Mariah... They call the wind Mariah
Mariah....Mariah.... Blow my love to me...
By the way, only 11 days until Stone of Cruento is on Cerridwen Press.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice summary of winds, but you forgot the Mistral in France.

Anonymous said...

You lyrics are wrong.

It is:

A way up here they got a name, for rain and wind and fire. The rain is Tess, the fire's Joe and they call the wind Mariah.

Anonymous said...

Almost:

It's "way OUT here, they got a name, etc."

George said...

You forgot about the "Kona" winds in Hawaii. Lived there for 7 years. Kona winds bring bad luck and misfortune according to the local lore.