Thursday, August 13, 2009

August Thirteenth

The 13th of every month is my day to blog and I almost always forget my day. Not today. I remembered because today is an anniversary and a bad memory. On this day, oh...I don't know how many years ago...I married my first husband. We eloped and were married before a Justice of the Peace in front of two witnesses.
Why oh why did I do this? Why on earth did I run off and marry someone I barely knew? To this day, I have no idea why I married an utter nightmare of a human being. I suppose I could be New Age about the entire experience and say...well...there are no mistakes. We are destined to do the things we do so we can learn and grow and blah...blah...blah. Maybe there's something to that. I certainly did learn an awful lot. But I was also very young, very troubled, very afraid, and blinded by my screwed up past. I didn't stand before the Justice of the Peace as a hopeful young bride. I stood there, legs shaking, filled with the absolute conviction that I was doing the wrong thing yet I did it anyway. How crazy is that!
Every single August 13th, I remember as if it's happening in the present. The day has left an indelible mark on me - like a tattoo. But by tomorrow, I will have forgotten all over again. Despite the fact that New Year's Day is January 1, my year always begins on August 14th. August 13th is how I've marked my calendar year ever since.
So that's why I remembered it's my day to blog!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Creepy, I felt the same way when I married my ex. Big hugs!

Marianne Stephens said...

Starting your year on 14 August to erase a bad memory serves a useful purpose in your life. Glad you're no longer is that situation...and that's the reminder. You got out and started over!

Mona Risk said...

Try to forget the nightmare and enjoy your present. Hugs.

Unknown said...

I never seem to be able to forget June 18, the day my mother died. I don't try to remember it and some years I get through most of the day and then it hits me what day it is. This year, I remembered a day or two before even though she died 20 years ago.

Hugs