When I'm not writing, I work at a small independent book store. Part of my job is to read books. I know, the horror of it all. But it does create a problem. There are just too many books out there that I want to read and there are only so many hours in the day. As I sit here in my office at home looking at my shelves, I currently have over 300 books on my "to-be-read" shelves. Yes, you read that right - not piles, shelves. My husband put up bookshelves so the huge stacks wouldn't crowd the floor.
I try to go at the shelves logically - by starting at the beginning. But then another one comes into the store and it looks soooooo good! And then another. And another.... you get the picture. :)
To alleviate this massive pile up, I could do several things:
1. I could quit my job - but I kind of need the paycheck and, besides, where would I then get free books? Not an option.
2. I could quit writing. Definitely not an option.
3. I could quit doing promo. But if I do that, then my books wouldn't get "out there" - it's a necessary evil. So, unfortunately, not an option.
4. I could quit spending time with my family. No, guess I shouldn't do that.
5. I could quit sleeping. As a person with chronic insomnia, I already do enough of that. Not an option.
6. I could quit reading. Like writing, definitely NOT an option.
7. I could quit adding books until I read the ones I have. But the ones that came in yesterday look so good! I can't do that.
You see my problem? So I guess my shelves will keep growing and I'll keep reading during my free moments.
Sorry this blog is so short. But I have a book to read! :)