Sunday, October 18, 2009

Reappearing after My Disapperance

Once upon a time there was a woman who wrote novels about strong mythical women. Prophecy of Vithan and Stone of Cruento were well read and told of women put in impossible situations. They survived and even prospered coming out stronger than ever.


It is wonderful to read of women, whether real or imaginary, who overcome hardships. Sometimes, in real life, we don't come out on top. Sometimes, we sink. But as all women who survive, we eventually swim to the top of the muck and mire and start over again.


As many of you know, I am my husband's caregiver. He is the victim of stroke and a quadriplegic. For six years I have been taking care of him and his has been improving, little by little. Then about a year ago, he stroked again. He forgot how to drink, how to eat, everything. I was devastated. That is when I sunk into the lake of despair.


My husband is recovering. He has relearned and even gained ground.


I am back. It took a year for me to recover my writing, my sense of security, my strength.


However, I am coming back by not just swimming to the top. I am swimming and diving off the big board.


I have entered NANOWRIMO 2009. I will put myself on the line by putting my word count on MySpace www.myspace.com/charleneleatherman You can click on the NaNoWriMo icon to go to my page and see word count, excerpts and leave comments. Rooting me on is encouraged -- (grin).



I am going (if the creek don't rise) submit my wip (work in progress) to Cerridwen Press and see if it is accepted. The working title is Vials of Pyxis. I will be blogging on MySpace and my other sites about the novel now and then.



I am going to start blogging again. So check back here on the 18th of the month and every month after that to see what is going on with my work. There might be tidbits about life as well.



I am reviewing a book, and interviewing the author starting November 9. The book is Tirissa and the Necklace of Nulidor by Willow.



You can find the book on Amazon.com

So, for now, that is what is going on. I'll see you again, here, on the 18th. I'll let you know what is going on. Hopefully I'll have good news about Vials of Pyxis. I'll tell you all about Tirissa and the Necklace of Nulidor. And, (I'd cross my fingers but then I couldn't type) I'll have a wonderfully huge word count in the NaNoWriMo. See you then. Charlene.

7 comments:

Fran Lee said...

Bless you and your hubby, dear! I'm so thrilled for you that he is improving. And I'm even more thrilled that you are back to writing. Now you must remember to take care of YOU, too.

Laurann Dohner said...

It's great to see that you're back. I know how tough your life must be. I took care of both of my grandmothers when they had severe strokes that left them bedridden and unable to do even the simple things for themselves anymore. I'm so glad that he is recovering. It's one of the hardest things ever to be someone's full time, 24/7 caregiver. It's easy to lose yourself in them and I think it's great that you're back! I don't know if you have a support group (I never had one because who has the time???) but I'm always available to talk to if you need someone who understands. Feel free any time to drop me a line.
Laurann Loves 2 write (at) gmail (no spaces)

Laurann

s7anna said...

Hi Charlene,

I wanted to say to you that you are an amazing woman. I'm glad that your hubby is slowly recovering... My blessings and prayers are with you both during this tumultuous journey...

I will be sure to keep an eye out for your work's progress...If you ever need a shoulder to lean on...I'm there for you...just email me at s7anna@yahoo.ca

Best of luck with your writing!

Anna Shah Hoque

Unknown said...

Welcome back, Charlene!

You are a strong, amazing woman! I'm glad your husband is improving and gaining.
Look forward to your future blogs and news of a new contract.

jean hart stewart said...

So very glad you're back....I've missed you and wondered often how you were, so please stay with the blog and keep us up to date. God bless you both. Of course you'll get a new contract, you're a great writer. Jean

Marianne Stephens said...

Charlene,
It's difficult to be a 24/7 caregiver but bless you for accepting the challenge. I hope your husband continues to improve and you can concentrate more on your writing.
FYI-ask your editor about Cerridwen submissions. They mentioned at RomantiCon they're closed for about 6 months, but maybe that doesn't include their authors.
Stay strong!

Anny Cook said...

Yay, Charlene! I've missed you girl! Go, you!

You're one of the strongest women I know. I suspect you'll come out dancing around all the rest of us. So glad to hear the hubby is doing better.

I'll check out your myspace!