Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Excuses, excuses!

I can't remember the last time I wrote anything on my Work in Progress. My critique group meets tonight and all I have to hand out is excuses -- busy getting ready for vacation, busy getting my promo stuff made for the RWA conference, busy going to physical therapy for my shoulder, and the shoulder itself-- I had rotator cuff surgery, but I have been able to type since the second week after surgery, and it has been a month. I don't think I can use that last excuse much longer.

I need to learn some discipline. If I want to keep selling books -- and believe me, I DO! -- I have to get into a writing routine. That is what all the speakers will tell you -- even if you only write for 1/2 hour a day, it will get you further along in your book. I have to keep telling myself, "BICHOK, Kate, BICHOK." For those of you who are readers and don't know what that means, it stands for "Butt in chair, hands on keyboard." And that is really all it takes.

I think it was "La Nora" who said, "I can't fix a blank page." That is so true. But I think I have this mindset that what I put down has to range from very good to very, very good or it's not worth my time. It sounds like I'm a perfectionist, and I am, but only in my work and my writing. I have to get over that -- well, not the work part, if I want to keep my job -- and just sit down and WRITE!

I'm not taking my laptop on vacation, but I will take a notepad. I am one of those people who think better on paper, anyway (yeah, I know, that's another excuse). I will try to at least make notes so that I can really crank out the pages when I get back.

I have to -- I am running out of excuses!

Hope to meet many of my fellow bloggers at the RWA conference.
TTYL,
Kate Poole

2 comments:

Kate Poole said...

P.S. It seems as if Bronwyn and I are on the same wavelength. Honestly, I didn't read her post before I wrote mine. At least she did verify for me that the quote came from Nora.

Gee, my post could have been very short today. All I had to write was, "Yeah, what Bronwyn said!" :-D

Later,
Kate

1 Who are We? said...

I've added a little something to BICHOK and that is EOE eyes off email. I'll let you know how that works, cause I'm like you - I am a writer, I really really am, just cause I can find every excuse there is not to write doesn't mean I'm not a writer - does it?
Charlene L