Friday, May 11, 2007

To blog or not to blog...

That is the question, hmmm? The more we get into writing, the less time we seem to have for actual…writing. But rest assured, blogging is still on my list, though when I’m tired and feeling rocky and behind in my word count, I admit to my moments of “why this?” I think there are a few good reasons for it, though!

It’s still writing. And as a writer, getting something written other than a few more words on the WIP is a good palate cleanser, a refresher of sorts. It reminds us of who we are, what we do, and why. That’s important, especially when you get to the middle of the book and you’re starting to get sick of these people who never seem to do what you want them to.
Writing is such a solitary profession that you go stir-crazy if you don’t make connections with other writers. I call my internet connection my “office water cooler”. It keeps me tied into the world around me, keeps me from feeling like a hermit. This blog is one aspect of that, and I’m grateful to have it.
The evil P-word of course. Promotion. The writer’s bane. It rings in your ears as you sleep, flashes before your eyes as you wake. But this sort of blog is an easy one and website counters show that it’s effective. A more mercenary reason than the others, perhaps, but still valid.
FUN! Maybe convincing myself to get started is, but since I blog totally stream-of-consciousness, once I get started, yeah, I’m having fun.

So there you go, and here I am. It’s a beautiful sunny day, but I’m inside, which is not going to be an all day thing. Sunshine is good, and I intend to be out in it soon. (Properly sunscreened of course.) My genius husband has figured out a way for me to use my laptop in bright sunlight, so there you go. Or maybe I’ll play hooky this afternoon and just curl up in my lounger and read a book. (BAD CINDY! WIP needs work!) Who knows?

One thing I do want to mention, today is official print release day for Crazy for the Cowboy, so if you wanted a hard copy of that one, zip over to Amazon and check it out! And say Hi to the cowboys and ghosts of Shirley., Wyoming. And since Sunday is Mother’s Day, I’d like to note that the town is named for my mom, Shirley Spencer. I started my cowboy books for her, because she never much cared for my “sci-fi” stuff, as she called my paranormals (which really are usually fantasy, but there you go.) . While mom passed away before the sale and publication of my first books, I like to think there’s still a little bit of her spirit watching over her namesake town as well.
(picture taken in 2001-yeah, that's me with my mom)

Happy Mother’s Day and have a great weekend!
Hugs!
Cindy

1 comment:

Bronwyn Green said...

I'm betting that she's pointing and saying, "Yep, that one's mine," with a big smile.