Sunday, August 19, 2007

From Wishes to Reality

I just returned home from a weekend away at my niece's 4th birthday party and realized it was my turn to blog. Oops!

I've reached some great writing milestones recently. My second Ellora's Cave book, I Put a Spell on You released July 13th. My first Cerridwen Press book, Best Laid Plans, released August 16th. I just finished writing another story for EC, tentatively titled Mystic Circle and I found out that my third EC book, Ronan's Grail will be released November 14th.

These are all wonderful accomplishments and I'm thrilled, but this week I accomplished something even greater. All my niece wanted for her birthday was a Dorothy Gale (Wizard of Oz) costume complete with the ruby slippers. I have Target.com to thank for the ruby slippers, but I sewed the blouse, jumper and bows from a pattern I designed by watching youtube videos trying to get the costume just right. (Yeah, I'm a little OCD about costuming) ;)

I stayed up late (did I mention I'm a procrastinator?) broke three needles, and sewed for hours. I was tired, but when my niece opened it and I saw the look on her face, it was worth any frustration and more. She threw her little arms around my neck and said, "You made all my wishes come true."

I guess that's what I like most - making wishes come true - whether it's for the characters in my stories or the children in my life. I have the most amazing job, family and friends in the world and I wouldn't trade a thing.

No comments: