Sunday, August 5, 2007

Hot issues

Yikes! I just realized it was my day to post. And, miracles of miracles, I was able to sign in on my first try. Of course, it helps if you check the "Remember Me" box.

Well, I am still trying to get through all of the emails that have been flying back and forth since the RWA conference. It is my first time on the PAN ("Published Author Network") lists and boy, I wonder if the posts have always been this HOT! I seriously doubt it. The main issues are what publishers are eligible to get free space at the conference, which authors are PAN eligible, and what is the definition of "erotic romance."

As readers, I'm sure it is that last one that matters to you. What do you think of when you hear the term, "erotic romance?" Or, in the case of Ellora's Cave authors, "Romantica." since that is a copyrighted term for EC only. Is it the explicitness of the sex scenes or the number of them in the book? Is it the type of sex -- menage (m/m/f, m/f/m), BDSM, shape shifters? How do you come up with a definition that encompasses all the various forms and degrees of "heat" involved in erotic romance?

No matter what your own personal definition might be, IMHO, erotic romance is going to be around for a long time. I am proud to write it. And I am glad all of you read it.

Until next time,
Kate Poole

No comments: