Thursday, September 20, 2007

New Jersey Here I Come

I’ll be off to New Jersey next month for the New Jersey Romance Writers annual Put Your Heart in a Book Conference. I haven’t been to this conference before, but I’ve heard great things about it, so I’m excited. (!)

I’ve been to LoTs of conferences. Maybe more than I want to admit. But over the years I’ve learned a few things.

Know what to expect. Some excitement, some disappointment. No big deal. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Ditto a writing career.

Know what not to expect. See above.

Know what you’ll remember. Having an awesome time catching up with friends, meeting new people all over the place, and generally have a fast-forward good time.

Know what you won’t. When someone gives you a business card, write something on the back to remind yourself who/what/when/why. You think you’ll remember what you were talking about with Ms. Lunch Companion, but...

Know something about the place before you arrive. That way you’ ll be able to do at least one non-writing related thing, something you wouldn’t be able to do at home. Go to a museum, walk through a historic neighborhood, visit a park. You get the idea.

Last thing; let other people know you’re going.

New Jersey Romance Writer’s Conference Bookfair
Saturday, October 6 @ 4-5:30
Woodbridge Sheraton
515 Route One South, Iselin, NJ 08830
Phone (732) 634-3600

No comments: