Friday, September 26, 2008

Romancing the Villains

I have just started a six week class with E.C. Sheedy which she titled, "Romance Among the Villains." If you haven't read any of her books, check them out. She writes murderous tales with a twist or two and several red herrings to throw the reader off the scent. She is published by Kensington. There are eight in the class. Four are men! That was a surprise.

I learned the difference between a Mystery and a Suspense story with a nod at Thrillers. My last book published by Cerridwen Press, "Too Young To Die," is a thriller. I'm not sure I could write a Mystery. My uncomplicated brain might not cope with red herrings and the like.

Tomorrow I will be at an all day workshop given by Gayle Wilson. "Staying up All Night: Writing the Page Turner." Our Vancouver Island Chapter has sponsored trip. We also have an editor from Harlequin coming and have ten of our members signed up for interviews with her. All in all it will be an exciting day. I'm the registrar so have to be up and on my way by 8:30 a.m.

I await word from EC that "A Very Difficult Man" is in print. October/November is the release time. I am planning PR ahead of time.

Another interesting meeting I attended this week was to hear Dr. Mary Malone, theologian, speaking about Christian women mystics of the medieval period. Mary is a gifted speaker and passionate about her topic. Many of the women were burned at the stake for approaching Christianity from a perspective different from the men. They were true feminists before the term was invented. I was so enamored of Mary's talk, I purchased four of her books, three are hefty tomes. She writes as she speaks. Easy to listen to. Easy to read.

That was my week. I hope you all had a good one.

Anita
www.anitabirt.com

No comments: